At yesterday’s open forum meeting, WWIB members shared their own personal tips and experiences from being in business. Some great ideas were aired, creating a really interesting discussion – ranging from the importance of dealing with auto-enrolment, to talking about different payment systems and marketing activities, through to general thoughts on integrity, bravery, persistence and the merits of eyebrow tattooing.
Some specific tips included:
- If you employ anyone at all, do not ignore the pensions auto-enrolment issue.
- Research and get to know your trade press: advertising inserts and editorials all help to promote your business.
- Look at WorldPay Zinc for taking card payments on your mobile.
- Think about asking for up-front deposits from customers, to reduce and cover the risk of no-shows for appointments.
- Learn about your marketplace, and watch what your competitors are doing.
- Remember that your customers are your ambassadors.
- Pay attention to your website: a good website can transform your business.
- Don’t forget there are lots of students around for the summer looking for part-time work.
- Take time to get to know and understand your customers, and make their experience of your business personal.
- Believe in yourself: keep going and be brave.
And finally, if you weren’t able to make the meeting, and want to add some tips of your own, please get in touch. We’d love to hear from you.